Can your father-in-law access a switch? There are many different types:
mechanical which would require a tap from some body part, and a proximity
switch, which requires no contact, only a slight movement that would break the
laser beam. These switches can be used to access such things as a touch talker
or light talker, which are both different types of communication boards. The
touch talker is accessed by typing on a computer-like keyboard (there are
pictures or words, rather than individual letters). The light talker is
accessed by scanning the same computer-like keyboard. The line of
pictures/words are highlighted, then the person activates the switch when the
light comes to the row with the word they want to say. They then again
activate the switch when the light comes to the word in that row. Some brand
names are Scan-it-all and Vanguard. One of my students is learning to use one
of these devices. I don't work for either of these companies. The switches can
also be used, along with a special remote control device that plugs into
appliances, to operate appliances such as the TV.  Trish