Hi  Don,

here is a poem I wrote when I was in Canada as a guest of Lynda & Al a few
years ago.  Seeing on television how the Canadian and American veterans
being wellcomed as heroes by the children and grandchildren of the people
who where set free in 1945.

If you were there in 1945 I thank YOU very much! and all the familymembers
and/or listmembers who where in Europe in 1945.

Kees

Thanks for 50 years of freedom!

Thanks to all the soldiers, so far away from home
At the end of April, begin of May 1945,
it's now 50 years ago, they drove them out of Europe
The dreadful german army of Occupation.

What it meant to me, now that I'm here alone
and so deeply touched by TV-shots of May 5
Is not easy to tell, and one has to learn to cope
With warm fealings, and that's not an exaggeration

I'm so very gratefull to people I've never met,
But surely I wouldn't have been here
If 50 years ago the Canadians Army stayed
In their barracks sound and save.

These feelings are shared -I'm sure of that-
By the Europeans who now take care
Of the soldiers celebrating who didn't wait
Till Hitler made us all a slave.

I'm very proud to be a guest of honour
And wellcomed so very kind
By a Canadian family and friends in Ontario.
So one thing I will all tell them :

Be proud of what your Parents did in the war.
Therefore in Europe you allways find
Very gratefull people, where ever you will go
For your present :  FREEDOM

Kees Paap
May 7, 1995

For Al and Lynda and all friends