hi rosemary

you wrote:

>I received this e-mail from a friend etcetc as you can read
>and thought the list was a good place to start.  Can anyone
>give me info about support groups etc in the Beaumont, Texas
>area?  I do not know if this person has access but e-mail but
>I can get info to his son-in-law.
>
>>Good morning
>>One of the people in our department, has a father in-law with Parkinson
>>and has had it for about four years.  He lives in Beaumont, Texas and
>>I thought you might send me any contacts you have that might give him
>>some encouragement because he has declined very quick.
>>Thanks for your help and I will pass on any information you send.

something in this message set off alarm bells in my head:
"he has declined very quick"

this is not 'normal' for the progress of parkinson's

without details of symptoms and medication routine etc
i would jump to a 'been there, heard that' conclusion
that a second opinion
[preferably a very expert and experienced one
e.g. a movement disorder clinic]
is needed p.d.q.:

a - to confirm the diagnosis

b - to analyse medication intake and possible side-effects
which could be contributing to or even causing
this abnormally fast 'decline'

anyone with parkinson's,
or at the very least, someone near and dear,
needs to become an expert on pd in their own interest,
or at the very least, persistent in searching for better options

four years is much too short a time for a serious decline
in my humble opinion
[i'm still kicking after 10 years]

there is too much ignorance out there still
both on the part of the general public and the medical community
and too little sensitivity to the fine-tuning that we require
for our parkinson symptoms to be minimised
and our brain chemistry to be optimised

i'm sure that others will advise
in re support groups and the national organizations etc

please keep us informed as to developments
this man is our parkie sibling now!
tell him that hope is alive
and kicking!

your cyber-sibling

janet

a new voice: http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm
pwp event calendar: http://newww.com/cgi-bin/do_cal?c:pwpc
51/10 - endocarb/selegiline/fluoxetine - [log in to unmask]
janet paterson, eic, ccs