He Debbie,

I think your correct in thinking you should look for a new neurologist
for you mom.   One of the things we've learned in dealing with
physicians, and even neurologists, that there are many who do not really
understand PD.

An essential tremor is different from a resting tremor which is what you
usually see with PD.  Quoting from a book we have on PD, "Tremor occurs
in many conditions.  One which is sometimes confused with Parkinson's
disease is "benign essential tremor.  Generally the tremor of this
condition differs from that of Parkinson's disease in that it occurs not
at rest but when the arms are held out-stretched for a moment as when
reaching for the handle of a teacup."

I was also very shocked that your mom's neurologist indicated there would
be no degeneration with PD.  Maybe you should hook him up with our
listserver and let him eavesdrop for a day or two.  We would all wish
that what he says is true, but for the majority of those who have PD, the
progression is definitely degenerative.

Hope this information has helped.  Continue to ask, and if we have the
answers, we'll share them.  Blessings to you and your mom both.  She is
fortunate to have such a loving daughter.

Bev c/g; Murph 56/7