I would like to add my voice to the defence of the Dayton Daily News.  All
it is "guilty" of is treating me exactly like everyone else whose letter
they haven't printed.  They certainly don't deserve being picked out for
extraordinary attention.

Last Sunday as I worked my way through a seemingly endless list of US
newspaper I was aware that the "Ducktown Recorder and Bee" (this is a
representative name of my own devising) was unlikely to have the prestige or
circulation of for example the New York Times. I fired my OL off to them all
in the belief that getting it published in even one small circulation paper
would increase from nothing to something my personal contribution to getting
Udall funded .

This much I have achieved, but how much more could be achieved if someone
could crack one of the major opinion forming papers. I wrote to them too and
as Bill Heitman said -

     "Better to concentrate our precious energy (yep just like our precious
research dollars) attacking something we all can read -- like USA Today, The
Wall Street Journal, or the New York Times.  They reach lots more folks and
that's what we need"

Who knows.  A letter about funding PD research, hung on the hook of Jim's
recent  "60 minutes"  appearance might just be perceived as interesting
enough to make it into print.

Good luck to those of you who think its worth a shot.

(BTW can anyone tell me what "and Bee" means in this context - it formed
part of the name of at least 2 papers).

Dennis

Dennis Greene 48/11
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/