Fri, 19 Jun 1998 Debbie Jennings-Siena, <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>>>I am a new member of this listserver, my mom has recently been diagnosed
as having Parkinson's Disease<<<

Welcome to the list Debbie and Mom,

>When Mom was first diagnosed, her neurologist told her that she was lucky
the neuro probably was doing a bad job in trying to soften the impact of the
diagnose PD ("lucky": no cancer, no braintumor, etc.)

>and that Parkinson's was the best disease to have

I'm pretty sure I definitely disagree

>and that it would not shorten her life in anyway

the first correct statement

>and that she should be just fine, no degeneration of any type

wrong again!

>Mom is 58 years old.  She is taking Sinemet and was doing remarkable well

PD is most of the time difficult to diagnose. Therefor with most patients
there is a long period of uncertainty about what disease they have, before
PD is diagnosed. The stress of the uncertainty disappears, what could
account for the relative "well-being".

<snip>

How can you distinguish between "Essential Tremor" and "Parkinson Tremor"?

In theory the difference is clear, in practice it is NOT so easy.
Especially when the tremor has just appeared, is not so strong, is not
present all the time, it is difficult even for experienced neuros to see
which one it is.

Essential tremor:
- gets worse when you initiate a movement
- does not disappear in your sleep
- not a symptom of PD

Rest (=Parkinson) tremor:
- diminishes when you initiate a movement
- disappears when you are sleeping
- a symptom of PD

>I seem to read quite a few message about depression and Parkinson's.  My
>Mom was taking Xantac for her nerves, however, the neurologist says that
>she doesn't need any thing like that.

Before tremor appears loud and clear, most PWP have a tremorous feeling
inside, that -if PD not yet has been diagnosed- often is misdiagnosed for
stress, depression, "it's all between your ears", etc.
Not all PWP develop a depression. If there is no depression, no meds against
it are needed.

>It seems that from what I am hearing that maybe Mom should be looking for a
>new Neurologist, one who seems to understand that Parkinson's is not so
>great and that it does progress at least in some cases.
>Does anyone agree with this?

I'm afraid I have to disappoint you: PD is progressive in ALL cases!!
The degree in which it's progressive however can not be predicted.
It's important to have a neuro that is capable and you can easily talk to.
If that's not the case: change to a good neuro.

>Mom lives in  the West Texas area  where rattlesnakes are plentiful but
>good Dr.s are not.
>Also does anyone have any information about any support groups in the
>Greater West Texas Area?   Mom lives in San Angelo, Texas.

Here in the Netherlands rattlesnakes and good neuros are the same........
....I'll rephrase that....: are equally hard to find (that's better!).
Someone on this list living in the Texas-area should be able to give you a
good advice.

>I apologize for going on like this but thanks for any help that you can
>give.

Nothing personal Debbie:

ALL YOU APOLOGIZERS OUT THERE:

DO NOT APOLOGIZE!
The last week dozens of postings said: "I apologize" for no obvious reason.
This list IS for questions.
This list IS for problems.
PWP and CG's CAN (although not very likely) make mistakes too.
This list IS for emotional reactions (this is one).

After all: we are just amongst ourselves (PWP and CG's) here.
Accept that on this list there is tolerance and understanding
amongst PWP and CG's.
SO NO MORE APOLOGIES!!!!!!!
(also NO apologies because you first apologized!!!!!!!!!)

If you are still reading, Debbie: if you have any more questions, just ask!
The same goes for your Mom.

Greetings,  Hans.