At 11:48 PM 6/19/98 , you wrote:
>Art, I guess my cut and paste technique could use some practice.
>
>I read some of this humor I get and for the life of me I can't figure out fi
>they're funny or not by just reading them.  Used to be, the humor in most
>jokes   was the way the thee joke was told.  Now no one actually tells a
>joke anymore.

Bruce, it's not you.  Some of the new state mottoes are a bit obscure, to
say the least.  For example, who but a Trekkie would understand why Iowa is
the land of James T. Kirk?  But if you be an avid Trekkie, it hits home.

Others are sound gags - you don't understand them until you speak them out
loud - and maybe not then.

And some, face it, are expressions of the author's bigoted feelings about
the state - or province - and if you don't share the author's bigotry - or
understand where (s)he is coming  from, there's no element of humor to them
at all.

Well, that takes care of the original 51 (including DC).  The provinces I
take personal credit for, because I couldn't see slighting our hosts at
utoronto - and they (the mottoes, not the provinces) were a hurry-up
product, also of dubious redeeming social importance.

Art

 Arthur Hirsch {} [log in to unmask] {} Lewisville, TX {} 972-434-2377
 (nickname on instant mail, ICQ, and chat programs is cutterson)

   Always Remember This:  Happiness Is Right, So Choose Happiness