Hi-my name is Joan. I am 46 yrs. old and have been diagnosed with PD for
about 8. I am a busy wife and the mother of 2 kids; Ali is 10 & Mitch is
8. The first inkling that something wasn't quite right happened when I
was nursing Ali & I noticed that my right arm was "tingley." I
attritubuted the sensation to laying  on the arm while I nursed but soon
I was pregnant with Mitch and much too busy to pay attention. 8 months
after he was born, my husband was activated for Desert Storm. It was
while a girlfriend was videotaping homemovies to send to dad that
she noticed that my right arm didn't move when I walked. Anyway-to make
a long
story short-I have undergone 2 pallidotomies: the 1st was a smashing
success, however, during the 2nd operation, the surgeon hit a small
artary in my brain, causing it to hemorrage. When I came home, I
couldn't walk or talk, feed myself or bathe. The doctor told me later
that he had serious doubts that I would ever make it back mentally.
Altho I suprised him & everyone else-mentally; physically
has been a different story. We lost all the ground that we had derived
from the 1st
operation: my symptoms are very pronounced when I am "off"-I am bone
weary,
I tremor on both sides, my jaw tremors and I grind my teeth; I am rigid
& I get stuck alot or else I am losing my balance and crashing around
like a pinball! Last
month, I became very depressed and almost lost heart for the first time,
but luckily my neurologist and, oddly enough, my gynochologist were able
to help me
with my meds. I am now taking Zoloft for my depression and am weaning
myself off of adivan which was prescribed for anxiety. The suprising
thing is that after my gynochologist prescribed estrogene, my "off"
times don't last nearly as long; the symptoms aren't nearly as intense &
sometimes I even feel like a new person!
I would like to talk to other pre-menopausal women with PD and, without
getting
too graphic, learn about their special problems. This has been a goal of
mine for a long time & I thank you all for the opportunity to use this
forum to learn more
about the disease which is robbing me of my ability to live the life
that I want, but which has opened plenty of windows while slamming
doors!  Joan