Janet, when I would visit with my father, I would know when he was "on" or
"off", but he had so much difficulty communicating, that I could not figure
out if he was in pain, or in a trance, or in general what he was feeling,
other than uncomfortable. You put your off experience in such detail, that it
was actually like I was "feeling" it with you.
I guess it was the power of suggestion, like when  hypnotist says "you are
feeling tired, your eyes are heavy, etc"  I read the descriptions of "off"
time by others and I understood what they said, but did not "feel" it.