Thanks to another list member for bringing this to our attention...

Monday June 8, 1998
Company Press Release

SOURCE: Guilford Pharmaceuticals Inc.

Guilford's Dopascan(R) Subject Of Nine Presentations At Society Of
Nuclear Medicine Annual Meeting

TORONTO, June 8 /PRNewswire/ -- DOPASCAN(R) Injection, Guilford
Pharmaceuticals Inc.'s (Nasdaq: GLFD - news) investigational diagnostic
test in development for diagnosing Parkinson's Disease, will be the
subject of nine oral presentations at the Annual Meeting of the Society
of Nuclear Medicine, scheduled for June 7-11, 1998 in Toronto, Canada.

DOPASCAN(R) is a radiopharmaceutical that labels and quantitates
doapamine nerve terminals in the brain. These nerve terminals degenerate
in Parkinson's Disease and other parkinsonian conditions. The diagnostic
test is administered by injection and allows physicians to obtain images
using conventional hospital-based scanning equipment. In the 96 patient
multicenter Phase IIB clinical study sponsored by Guilford, entitled
``Multicenter Quantative Spect Evaluation of the Dopamine Transporter
Ligand DOPASCAN(R) as a Diagnostic Marker of Parkinson's Disease,''
DOPASCAN(R) was shown to distinguish Parkinson's Disease from
non-parkinsonian disorders with a sensitivity and specificity of 98% and
83% respectively. No serious adverse events were attributed to
DOPASCAN(R) in this study. The Parkinson's Study Group, Department of
Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine conducted this study.

``This study, along with other clinical evaluations previously reported,
point to the potential clinical value of DOPASCAN(R) in diagnosing
Parkinsonian disorders and distinguishing them from other conditions. We
are pleased that so many studies using DOPASCAN(R) have been accepted
for presentation for the Society's annual meeting,'' commented Dr. Craig
R. Smith, Chairman, President and CEO of Guilford.

The other 8 presentations, by various academic groups, include:
Evaluation of Patients with Parkinsonism with (I-123) IBF and Beta-CIT
SPECT*; SPECT Imaging of the Pre- and Postsynaptic Dopamine System in
Dopa-Untreated Parkinson's Disease; Significance on Nonuniform
Attenuation Correction in Quantitative Brain I-123 Spect Imaging;
Reduced Midbrain Serotonin Transporter Binding in Major Depression as
Measured by (123) Beta-CIT SPECT; Depletion- Restoration Studies Reveal
the Impact of Endogenous Dopamine and Serotonin on (I-123) Beta-CIT
SPECT Imaging in Primate Brain; Effects of Gender, Genetics, and
Serotonin Turnover on Availability of Brainstem Serotonin Transporters
in Alcoholism; an (I-123) Beta-CIT SPECT Study; Influence of Technical
Factors on Quantitative Analysis of I-123 (Beta-CIT) Uptake in the
Brain; Assessment in a Phantom Model; and Functional Morphometry of the
Striatum in Parkinson's Disease by I-123-CIT SPECT.

 * Beta-CIT is the scientific name for DOPASCAN(R); SPECT is a
tmographic method used for brain imaging.

 Guilford Pharmaceuticals Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company engaged in
the development of polymer-based therapeutics for brain and other
cancers, and novel products for the diagnosis and treatment of
neurological diseases, including Parkinson's Disease, Alzheimer's
disease, stroke, head trauma, spinal cord injuries, multiple sclerosis,
peripheral neuropathies and cocaine addiction.

SOURCE: Guilford Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Copyright © 1998 PRNewswire.
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada