NIH has two types of programs:  intramural and extramural.  they are funded
from different  "pockets" in the NIH budget.  Intramural funds go to
projects such as Polymeropoulos et al and their work in identifying and
cloning the genetic mutation found in the Contursi kindred.  Extramural
funds go to everyone else:  universities mmost prominently among them.

Carole