Date:   Friday, June 26, 1998 12:56:42 AM
From:   [log in to unmask]
Subj:    Parkinson's Caucus

Please refer any questions or comments to Michael Claeys at the
Parkinson's Action Network, 800-850-4726."

"Congressional Parkinson's Caucus

During the recent Public Policy Forum in Washington, DC Maine's Ivan
Suzman had a meeting with Representative John Baldacci (D-ME) in which
the topic of forming a Congressional Parkinson's Caucus was brought up.
This is a reasonable suggestion, worthy of consideration -- as
demonstrated by the level of discussion since Ivan posted the suggestion
on the Listserve.

The idea of a Parkinson's Caucus should definitely be discussed, but I
would like to suggest that we wait a few months to undertake that
discussion -- until after Congressional adjournment and the November
elections.  Until Congress passes the fiscal year 1999 Labor, Health &
Human Services, Education and Related Agencies Appropriations bill, the
top priority of the Parkinson's community must remain making every
possible effort to ensure the allocation of appropriations fully funding
the Udall Parkinson's Research Act.

Formation of a Parkison's Caucus brings up many questions that no one in
our community can answer at this time.  Among them are:  What are the
specific goals of such a caucus?  Who will chair or co-chair the
caucus?  Who will pay for the expenses sure to be incured by the
activities of the caucus (when the Republicans took over Congress in
1994 they cut back funding for many of the long-established House
caucuses.)  And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Resolving all these questions and ironing out logistical details will
surely take time and effort away from the all-important campaign for
appropriations for additional Parkinson's research.  For these and other
reasons, I respectfully ask that everyone curtail any discussion of
forming a Parkinson's Caucus until after this year's Congressional
session and the November elections.  Thank you for your understanding
and for adhering to the priorities of our community.