OKAY, I am mad as H... and I don't have to take it anymore!!!! IF you are
buying a new VCR or Combination VCR/TV, get one that has the automatic clock
setting feature. If you have a digital clock, replace it with an old fashioned
plug in analog clock. If the power goes off for five minutes, the clock only
loses five minutes. It has one knob to set the time, and one to set the alarm.
You don't wake to music, you wake to a loud ringing sound that WILL wake you
up!  If you don't want to take a chance on losing  even a few minutes,  then
get a windup clock too. If enough people stop buying electonic products that
are user unfriendly, they will start making them the way we want!  A more
manly act than setting the VCR clock, is taking the stupid thing back to the
store, and folding it around the salespersons head, who did not tell you a
degree in advanced electronic engineering, a knowledge of Calculus, and an
ability to translate the instruction manual to your native language is
mandatory to make it work.  The fact that all the controls are the size of
pinheads, and are the same color as the control panel, usually black or dark
gray.It is a challenge to even FIND the controls, and what they do. Now there
are some that TALK to you, imaginge that! You are pushing the buttons and a
voice says "This is your VCR, listen and you won't get hurt! Push the black
button, until the screen display stops smoking..."  OKAY, now I will go to
sleep..(ME, not the VCR, the VCR is not sleeping, it is DEAD!!!) KenB