Introduction

About 4 years ago, when I opted for semi-retirement, and through a series
of events was asked to take over a Geriatric Psychological practice, which
included a few with Parkinson's Disease. This necessitated my relearning
stuff that was 35 years old and needed to be updated. That was the
beginning of my professional interest in PD; my personal interest developed
through my membership in this list and the friends that I have since met.

I received a great deal of support from my friends in helping to develop
the Daily Symptom Status Evaluation forms which allows folks to monitor
their disease status over protracted periods of time and may serve as a
tool to aid in the communication with their doctors and other caregivers. (
These forms are available as attachments by contacting Joyce at
[log in to unmask]) It also became apparent the care required of my PWP
living in an assisted living facility needed to be improved. This was the
beginning of a new project which eventually brought about the cooperation
of the administrator of an assisted living facility, University of Arizona,
Department of Neurology, and a few PWP local activists in the development
of a self-contained support group within the facility. We learned a lot.
Unfortunately, business issues, resident mobility, and staff personnel
changes limited what we had done.

Where we are now...

For the past year Joan Thielbar, the initial administrator and now the
executive director of a recently completed Assisted Living Residence in Sun
City West, Arizona, and I have been involved in the development and further
enhancement of what we started. The new facility receives assistance not
only from the University of Arizona, School of Medicine, Department of
Neurology, but also receiving support and training for the staff from the
Muhammad Ali Parkinson Research Center at BNI, Phoenix, Arizona. When we
started exploring the concept of PWP and Assisted  Living Residences we
found little information or facilities that were able to provide the
appropriated care andor trained personnel.

The physical structure includes exercise and activities rooms, a computer
with Internet and Email capabilities for residents' use, and a library with
lots of information on Parkinson's Disease. The emphasis is on People with
Parkinson's not Parkinson's Patients.There is no special physical location
for PWP only.

More information may be obtained by contacting Joan Thielbar, MPA at
SunBridge, 602 584 2338 or me at [log in to unmask]

I have noticed that folks have asked about appropriate care placements.
This information is offered to help answer that question and to inform
members as to what is going on in the geriatric community.

Bernie Barber