Date:    Mon, 22 Jun 1998 23:03:31 EDT
From:    Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Dopamine agonist defintion ?

Hi.

I have not read all of the responses......but............simply put.....a
Dopamine Agonist makes the Dopamine receptors that make Dopamine do what it
does best.. work better. An "antagonist" will make the receptor stop doing
what it is doing. This works well in the case of something that needs to be
stopped. Example? Non PD..........but affects a lot of us. Bladder control is
often effected by muscarinic receptors. If that bladder is going crazy (the
muscarinic receptors are too active) and one has to go to the bathroom too
often or has accidents, a muscarinic receptor ANTAGONIST is in order. I hope
this helps.

Happy day.

Nancy