Gregory,

You are certainly not alone in your feelings of fear about the safety of
our children.  I'm sure the parents on this list will empathize with your
concerns for your neice.

As a caregiver, this also extends to our concerns for our beloved PWP.
Yesterday, Dad and I had an appointment with a lawyer who works in a
suburban office tower.  It was our first time there.  I drove into the
parking garage and couldn't find a spot near the door to the elevators, so
I pulled into an open handicapped parking space.  I got Dad out of the car
and had him wait next to the door while I drove off to park legally.  It
was dark and spooky in there.  As I drove off, I was nearly overwhelmed
with fear that someone would try to mug my father while I was out of sight.
 What can he do?  He can barely walk, much less run.  His voice is too low
for a loud shout or scream.  He has no strength to fight back.

Luckily, everyone we encountered yesterday went out of his or her way to
help us, or at least smiled a nice hello.  Still, the news is full of
horrible stories.  I guess we just need to be vigilant and careful, and
then thankful when the majority of people show their caring, good sides.

Enjoy the roller coaster!

Jane K.
Marietta, GA