Larry,
NIH and their centers of excellence scattered around the nation have made some
of the most important breakthroughs we've had, so I wouldn't say that the
federal government's effort has not produced.  The other thing is that they
are not just profit-motivated or drug oriented, as are the drug companies, not
to disparage their efforts, either, as their contributions have been great,
but they are not as into the genetic research or causation.  Actually, it
takes both government and private to get the job done, I believe.
Barb Brock