Wed, 24 Jun 1998 05:52:10 Alastair Wyse <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<<<< .....But in Judith's posting some medical people were redefining the
term "dyskinesia"......

> I think that the word "dyskinesia" was NOT redefined, but was defined in a
> complicated and detailed way. So the definition was correct!

Here I think your confidence is definitely misplaced . Here is the
relevant part of the original:

The most common side effects of Mirapex taken with levodopa observed in
clinical trials for advanced-stage Parkinson's disease were postural
hypotension (low blood pressure caused by a change in posture), dyskinesias
(impaired movement), extrapyramidal syndrome (involuntary movements),
insomnia, dizziness and hallucinations.

This article redefines " dyskinesias "  as impaired movements the word I and
a lot of other people use for slow movement is bradykinesia.  On this list
usually, and always by me, dyskinesia is used to describe involuntary
movements ( usually a side effect of dopamine boosting drugs and this
usually means l-dopa ) . This latter is redefined in the article as
extrapyramidal syndrome . >>>>

Hi Alastair,

As I see it there are five words in need of a (re)definition:
- Bradykinesia
- Dyskinesia in the wider sense of the word
- Dyskinesia in the narrower sense of the word
- Extrapyramidal syndrome
- Impaired movements

For a movement the following factors are important:
- (muscle)power
- coordination
- mobility of the joints
- where in the nervesystem activity starts that causes the move, resulting
  in: - voluntary moves (initiated by the will)
      - involuntary moves (NOT initiated by the will)

Definitions:

Bradykinesia: slow movement.

Dyskinesia in the wider sense of the word: ANY movements that aren't normal.
(This can be INVOLUNTARY or VOLUNTARY movements => TWO TYPES).

Dyskinesias in the narrower sense of the word:

Type 1: Extrapyramidal syndrome: abnormal involuntary movements

Type 2: Impaired movements: abnormal voluntary movements

Back to the original statement to discuss, I think:

The writer of the original wants to make very clear that there may occur not
only abnormal involuntary movements (= extrapyramidal syndrome = dyskinesia,
in the way it's commonly used in PD), but also abnormal voluntary movements
(= impaired movements = another type of dyskinesia). Especially since
dyskinesia is commonly used for the extrapyramidal syndrome the writer is
stipulating that IN THIS CASE ALSO another type of dyskinesia is meant.

Greetings,  Hans.