I got my second issue of the National Parkinson Foundation's *
magazine "Parkinson Report" in today's mail, and besides the
general-interest material it contains the best patient-friendly
(but without baby-talk) explanations I've yet seen, of:

(1) Positron-Emission Tomography (PET) and Single-Photon-
Emission Computed Tomography (SPECT) for research into how the
brain works and the specific impact of Parkinson's Disease;
(2) Multiple System Atrophy;
(3) Tolcapone (Tasmar): what it does, how it works, principles
of dosage, side effects, etc.

Also, how and where to inquire if you want to be in a trial of
Amgen's Glial cell line-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (GDNF). It
entails a catheter (by Medtronics) for delivery into the brain,
with the usual risks of any such surgical intrusion.

If you're interested in PD research and haven't already subscribed, I
recommend doing so. Not sure of cost, but I think they will accept a
gift of whatever you can afford. The address is:

 National Parkinson Foundation Inc.
 1501 NW 9 Ave
 Bob Hope Road
 Miami, FL 33136-1494

* not to be confused with UPF, PDF, or APDA

Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694