I'm resending this reply  to Larry and Michel because I got a message that
it hadn't gone through.  That's what happens to 'newbies' I guess!

NIH has two types of programs:  intramural and extramural.  They are funded
separately in the NIH budgets for each institute (NINDS, NIEHS, etc.)
Intramural funds go to projects such as Polymeropoulos et al and their work
in identifying and cloning the genetic mutation found in the Contursi
kindred last summer.  Extramural funds go to everyone else:  universities,
independent research institutes, etc.  I believe that Udall funding would
most likely be allocated to both sides, though not necessarily in equal
measure.

To add a bit more to the NIH picture, the problem is that current funding
levels allow only funding of only 1 in 4 grants from senior investigators
(i.e., with good track records) which are judged as having sufficient
scientific merit to pursue.  Grants submitted from more junior people, who
used to have a separate track (known as R29s), are only funded in about 1
in 10 cases where sufficient scientific merit exists. In other words, once
the various study sections exercise the peer review process, the allocation
of actual money falls far short of what is needed.

In addition, NIH directors have some ability to set their own agendas with
regard to focus areas.  THAT is where the directives of the Udall Act and
the funding we all want comes in!

Carole