American Parkinson Disease Association
Washington, D.C. Office
800-684-2732

We have received several calls regarding the June 23, 1998, mark-up of the
Labor, HHS & Education Appropriations Bill by the House Appropriations
Sub-Committee on Labor, HHS & Education.  Congressman John Porter (R-IL)
chairs the sub-committee. =20

Specifically, the questions focused on the sub-committee recommendation to
increase the National Institutes of Health (NIH) budget by 9 percent or
approximately $1.2 billion and what this means for the Udall Act.  While the
recommendation for a 9 percent increase in medical research at the NIH is
significant that does not mean Parkinson=92s research received any specific
(or designated) increase despite the passage of the Udall Bill.  Dr. Varmus,
in an analysis report, did state however that much of the increase would
likely go into two especially fast-moving areas: "genetic medicine and
neuroscience, which promises insights into Parkinson=92s and Alzheimer=92s=
 and
various psychiatric syndromes".  Again, while the words may seem encouraging
this does not mean Parkinson=92s research will receive a specific increase=
 in
research funding.   =20

I talked to sub-committee staff members yesterday and they confirmed that
the "significant language" of the bill did not specifically mention
Parkinson=92s research.  There is, of course, a possibility that once the
detailed bill is made public we may find some reference to the need for
increased attention on Parkinson=92s research at the NIH. =20

The House Labor, HHS & Education Appropriations Bill is now sent to the full
Appropriations Committee for consideration where further chances will likely
be made.  The House is currently scheduled to bring debate on the bill after
the July 4th recess.

Several people have also asked =96 "What about the Senate?"  The Senate
Appropriations Sub-Committee on Labor, HHS & Education will mark-up their
version of the bill on (or around) July 7, 1998.  Many of our congressional
supporters believe that the Senate is more likely to take action on the
Udall Act.  This basically leaves us one week to influence the Senate
Appropriations Sub-Committee on Labor, HHS & Education chaired by Senator
Arlen Specter (R-PA).  The message is still the same =96 fully fund the=
 Udall
Act. =20

We have to stay focused =96 we did it last year we can do it again.  There=
 is
a lot of support for the Udall Act because you have made your voice heard.
Congressional support for the Udall Act is also strengthened by the
scientific potential for significant advancements in Parkinson=92s research
and effective treatments.=20

Should you have any questions, need assistance with your advocacy efforts,
want to confirm facts or need help with follow-up with a congressional
office please call Paul Smedberg, APDA Washington, D.C. Office at
800-684-2732 or via e-mail at [log in to unmask]