REHABILITATION SERVICES FOR PARKINSON PATIENTS IN  JEOPARDY!!

In a rush to find savings in the Medicare program last year, Congress
imposed arbitrary annual caps of $1,500 per beneficiary on all outpatient
rehabilitation services except those furnished in a hospital outpatient
department. The legislation, part of the Balanced Budget Act of 1997, has
been interpreted by Medicare to establish two limits - a $1,500 cap for
physical therapy and speech-language pathology services and a separate
$1,500 cap for occupational therapy services. The limits become effective
for services rendered on or after January 1, 1999.

These limits on outpatient rehabilitation services will impact heavily on
person suffering from Parkinson's disease for two reasons. First, there
is increasing evidence that persons with Parkinson's disease who receive
these services benefit considerably in their management of the disease,
comfort and activities of daily living. Second, because Parkinson's
disease is a chronic illness, the caps will by met on a regular basis
early in the twelve month cycle.

The limits are completely arbitrary and bear no relation to the medical
condition of the patient nor the health outcomes of the rehabilitation
services. There exists no medical or empirical justification for the
caps. The caps are insensitive to the needs of patients and amount to
health care rationing.

What makes this situation particularly frustrating is the fact that there
have been no Congressional hearings on reimbursement methodologies for
outpatient rehabilitation providers in general or the $1,500 caps in
particular. In comparison, multiple hearings were held on new payment
mechanisms for skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies and
managed care plans.

Relief  may be in sight if we all act quickly

Several Congressmen and Senators have already introduced legislation that
would correct this problem. They are Congressman Ensign and Senators
Grassley and Reid in the Senate.

Each of you who is either a Parkinson patient,  caregiver, or friend of
someone with Parkinson's disease needs to write your Congressman and
Senators asking them to be a co-sponsor of the "Reinstatement of the
Medicare Benefit Act of 1998". A sample letter follows.

If you need help identifying your Representative and/or Senators, or have
any questions, please contact the NPF Washington Office, toll free @
(888) 331-4673. Bill Turenne or I will be happy to help you.

If you are writing your Senators address the letter as follows:

The Honorable (first and last name)
United States Senate
Washington, DC 20510

If you are writing your Congressman address the letter as follows:

The Honorable (first and last name)
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

SAMPLE LETTER

Dear (CONGRESSMAN OR SENATOR)

As a Medicare beneficiary and recipient of physical, occupational and
speech therapy, I recently learned that starting January 1, 1999, there
will be an arbitrary cap on the amount of outpatient physical therapy,
occupational therapy and speech therapy services that I can receive from
my therapist. Due to a provision in the 1997 Balanced Budget Act, I
understand that Medicare will only cover $3,000 per year for all of these
services in outpatient settings limiting me to treatment in outpatient
hospital departments. As your constituent, I am upset that Congress has
arbitrarily limited my options for care. While I understand that everyone
should share in the burden to reduce Medicare costs to ensure solvency of
the program, this arbitrary cap does not make sense.

 Optional--[Add patient history, particularly the benefits of these
therapies to patients suffering from Parkinson's disease. Indicate how
theses therapies have improved your functions, independence and
activities of daily living..]

I ask you to support the enactment of H.R. 3835, the "Reinstatement of
the Medicare Rehabilitation Benefit Act of 1998" sponsored by Congressman
John Ensign and a similar bill sponsored in the Senate by Senators
Grassley and Reid.

Sincerely,