Art Hirsch wrote::

>It is my understanding that the Sinemet CR pill is homogeneous, and that
>the rate at which it dissolves is roughly proportional to the surface area
>remaining.  Thus, unless you grind the pill to a powder, breaking the pill
>in two gives a different release versus time characteristic, but it still
>gives a controlled release.
>
>It can also be argued that because some of the unbroken pill leaves the
>average person's digestive tract before it is dissolved, breaking the pill
>in two means that more of the pill will be dissolved in the blood stream
>and carried to the brain, but it will be released over a shorter period
>than that of an unbroken pill.

the CR pill is homogeneous; it dissolves on all exposed surface; but, will
give the variable dissolving rate it has by nature for each sub-piece. this
is true for both the 25/100 and the 50/200.  the original human testing data
report also has data showing that there is more levodopa in the blood with
two halves of 50/200 than the whole pill. acidity and other factors affect
the binder dissolve rate.

the period of time to dissolve is the same if the minimum dimension is the
original thickness of the tablet for each half or 4 quarters.

Ronald Vetter  1936, dz PD 1984, carbidopa/levodopa, Mirapex, selegiline
[log in to unmask]     Ridgecrest, California
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter