Arthur Hirsch wrote:

> At 08:53 PM 6/25/98 , Coleen Pettit wrote:
>

> >Hi again :)
> >
> >Also, I wanted to mention that with the Sinemet Cr you can't cut
> >the pill in half...that stops the controlled release...that is what
> >our neurologist said. I am sure you already know that though :)
>
> Coleen,
>
> It is my understanding that the Sinemet CR pill is homogeneous, and that
> the rate at which it dissolves is roughly proportional to the surface area
> remaining.  Thus, unless you grind the pill to a powder, breaking the pill
> in two gives a different release versus time characteristic, but it still
> gives a controlled release.
>
> It can also be argued that because some of the unbroken pill leaves the
> average person's digestive tract before it is dissolved, breaking the pill
> in two means that more of the pill will be dissolved in the blood stream
> and carried to the brain, but it will be released over a shorter period
> than that of an unbroken pill.
>
> Finally, it might be noted that the pill has a line on it for easy
> splitting into two roughly equal pieces.  Why would it be there if the
> manufacturer did not intend that it be split in some cases?
>
> Art
>
>  Arthur Hirsch {} [log in to unmask] {} Lewisville, TX {} 972-434-2377
>  (nickname on instant mail, ICQ, and chat programs is cutterson)
>
>    Always Remember This:  Happiness Is Right, So Choose Happiness

Hi Art,

Thanks for the informative information! We need all the input we can get
don't we :) that was very interesting as it conflicts with the dr.s
answer....hmmmm.... ;)..like you say...like I told the dr. ...what *is*
the line for...??
I know that when I was cutting the pill in half that Bob was doing just
fine also...then when the dr. found out that I did that he said not to
and to just get smaller dosage.

Coleen  :)