Dear Barb,

>  I definitely have to limit my protien
> during the day.  How do you get the required amount at night. The ratio
> of 7-1 is still too much protien for me so I really have to eat a lot at
> night.

 An ounce of meat, poultry, or fish contains about 8 grams of protein. One
egg has six grams of protein.  A cup of milk has 8 grams. One ounce of
cheese has about 6 grams. A cup of baked beans contains about 14 grams, and
most other cooked dried beans, peas, and lentils have about the same amount.
Most people need from 50-70 grams of protein per day (1 gram per kilogram
body weight, or about 1/2 gram per pound of body weight).

Assuming you need 50 grams protein per day, and that you get around 10 grams
of protein during the day,  you'll need another 40 grams of protein at your
evening meal. This would mean 5 ounces of cooked meat, poultry or fish; or
about 3 cups of cooked dried beans, peas or lentils. Or you could combine
foods like eggs, cheese and dairy products with legumes or meats. NOTE: some
people find that dairy products interfere with levodopa absorption more than
other proteins.

I'd try to get the cooked legumes 3-4 times a week, for the fiber and the
high ratio of carbohydrates they possess. Many people find that plant
protein does not interfere with levodopa as much as animal protein (meat,
poultry, fish) does.

I'd also try to eat fish once or twice a week, for its heart-protective
properties.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne
--