What a powerful story!  I am glad you decided to share it.  It speaks to the
humaness in us all.

I have always been a bit annoyed by the saying, "There but for the grace of
God, go I".  It seems to arrogantly assume that those who are healthy or
financially well off are somehow superior to those who are not and that God
has rewarded the more "deserving" with  health, wealth and happiness.  This,
of course, is not true but  that  hidden thought causes us to separate
ourselves inwardly from the handicapped and the poor.  Outwardly, we may be
compassionate and giving, but inside we are thinking, "I'm different".  Then
one day we find we are not different at all.

The scary thought for me is that one day someone will look at me with pity,
that I will lose my "MEness" and become "that person over there in the
wheelchair, drooling.  You confronted that demon at the the graduation and you
mourned for your lost perfection and illusions.  I think we all must go
through that, face it and move on.  Thank you for putting the experience into
words and sharing it with us all.

I am trying very hard not to give you unsolicited advice,but I think the
person with the brain tumor was coping in her own way with humor.  This is
also how I cope with PD.  It makes the enemy less scary when you can look him
in the face and laugh. Laughter also helps to make friends feel at ease and
better able to talk to you about your medical "problem".  That is preferable,
I think, than keeping it a taboo subject.... even if they sometimes offer
unsolicited advice. I like to think they offer advice only out of love and
concern.

Mary Sheehan