Fatigue connected with PD has been mentioned here often by
listmembers, but the books and patient manuals have little
or nothing to say about it. The following is from my own collection of
unqualified opinions, idle speculation, and irresponsible rumors about
diverse PD symptoms (all I can think of):

STRESS:        I haven't heard of professional agreement, but I believe
that the need for dopamine replenishment increases with any kind of
stress or strenuous activity, either physical or mental. Certainly, PWP
find that motor symptoms become more pronounced during periods of
stress, such as an argument or in preparation for any kind of trial. I
think PWP are subject to a special sort of fatigue, that responds to
dopamine.

Chronic Fatigue:           PWP often complain of constant
tiredness or lack of energy, even in the morning after a restful night.
"Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" is a recognized clinical condition, but I
think it is unrelated to PD because it affects others as well. Ordinary
fatigue or exhaustion follows prolonged strenuous exertion, such as an
athletic contest or a difficult mountain climb, as muscles are depleted
of chemicals that enable them to function, for example blood sugars and
oxygen. Ordinary fatigue abates upon prolonged rest, which permits weary
muscles to recover their normal chemical state.

Quick Exhaustion:          What some PWP call "Chronic Fatigue", I
prefer to call "Quick Exhaustion". It is not due to running out of blood
sugar or oxygen, but mimics the real thing with labored breath and rapid
pulse, even in moderate exertion such as climbing a flight of stairs, or
doing a tedious manual task. Ignoring this kind of fatigue may trigger
pain in an unrelated area, such as the upper back. Its sudden onset and
equally quick recovery, after a brief rest or an extra dose of levodopa,
shows the connection with PD. In a treadmill test, the technician may
notice the unusually quick "cooling off" of pulse and breathing rates.

Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road