>Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 12:50:41 -0700
>To: .
>From: "Bernie Barber Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: When a Male's at the Wheel
>
>Dear Gina,
>
>I was going to send this reply to you privately, but felt my experience,
as a victim of a driving accident may have value to others.

>January 5th of this year driving home early from work in Sun City,
Arizona, a lady in her 70s made an illegal left turn directly in front of
me, while I was driving 35 - 40 mph, this below the speed limit. This nice
lady had a accident very similar to this one not less than 3 months prior.
The lady said, " I didn't see you", which I belive. I suspect she did not
see the other driver either. She also talked about her loss of independence
and how her children wanted her to stop driving.

>Both cars were totalled, the Police said I was lucky I was wearing my seat
belts, as was she and her air bags deployed. She was OK. Since the accident
I have had 3 hospitalizations, including surgery on my back, for a ruptured
disk, which is still requiring daily stretching exercises 2 -3 times a day
and surgery related to bladder problems associated with L 4. I was not
allowed to drive for 2 months and my recovery will not be complete for
another 6 to 9 months. I am slowly getting back to work.

>Two weeks ago a dear friend, a young Critical Care Physician that I
sometimes share patients with, was killed when a lady, who should not have
been driving, paniced when the light changed and hit my friend's car on the
driver's side. His wife was 5 months pregnant with their first child.

>I share this with you and others who are faced with the difficult task of
giving up their driving.
>I share this with you and others who may never know of the impact of their
decision to drive or not drive.
>I share this with you and others, and ask what about the independence of
the victims of accidents that could have been avoided, if drivers were
caring enough to know when the time is approbriate to stop.