Gina, I haven't read her in 5 years, but I think Ann Landers would have said
it looks like you've answered your own question.  Scroll down please....

-----Original Message-----
From: Gina Cass. <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sunday, June 21, 1998 2:15 PM
Subject: Re: When a Male's at the Wheel

>Bruce:
>I have a Question about driving.  Since being diagnosed with PD, I have
begun
>to notice how I drive.
>Reaction time is slower

I THINK THIS IS ALL RELATIVE.  WHEN IT COMES TO REACTION TIME, FASTER IS
BETTER THAN SLOWER.  BUT WE ALL  CANNOT BE THE FASTEST.  PERHAPS THIS SHOULD
LIMIT THE TYPE OF DRIVING WE DO - HIGHWAY VS LOCAL, ETC.

>Eyesight is not great.
SAME REACTION AS ABOVE.  THIS PERHAPS SAYS DRIVE ONLY IN DAYTIME, GOOD
WEATHER, NON-RUSH HOUR.

>Hands shake and hurt on steering wheel
>I have dizzy spells
>etc., to name a few.
THESE NEXT 2 ARE NOT GOOD.  A DIZZYY SPELL CAN SEND YOU INTO HEAD ON (ALMOST
MISPELLED THAT ONE) CRASH, WHICH EVEN AT 25 MPH COULD CAUSE YOU TO KILL SOME
CHIILDREN ON THEIR WAY TO SCHOOL.  YOU DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE TO FAINT TO CAUSE
A LOT OF HEARTACHE.

>I have no idea if I should quit driving.
AT AGE 47 I KNOW IT'S TOUGH, BUT OLD ANN WOULD HAVE SAID, YOU DO TOO KNOW
IFYOU SHOULD QUIT OR NOT.

 I know I don't want to hurt anyone
>or myself and I really try to stay away from driving during the day and
>nighttime is a real joke.
THIS IS AGE RELATED, NOT PD RELATED, BUT AN 80 YEAR OLD WOMAN (MOST MEN ARE
DEAD BY 80!) ABOUT A MONTH AGO OUT HERE ON INTERSTATE 80 WANDERED INTO THE
WRONG LANE AND KILLED A 30 SOMETHING YEAR OLD WOMAN.  I DON'T THINK YOU'D
WANT TO LIVE WITH THAT.
 The denial part of me says this is part of my
>independence but my brain and husband feels we should sell car.  Husband/CG
>feels if it is not here I wouldn't drive it.  Also, states that we are
>covering full coverage insurance and paying plates/taxes.  I do understand
him
>but I have no one else to ask advice.  No other family.  1 Dr. has died
(not
>replaced) other Dr. in serious water accident (no replacement).  Can anyone
>just share their experience with me.
THE REST OF THIS REALLY DOESN'T MATTER RIGHT NOW.  MAYBE STOP DRIVING
WITHOUT SELLING THE CAR RIGHT AWAY.  TAKE THE INSURANCE OFF AND JUST LET IT
SIT FOR AWHILE IN THE GARAGE IF THAT'LL HELP PSYCHOLOICALLY.
Thank you all, so much.

I JUST THINK YOU KNOW IT'S TIME.   BUT............DON'T TURN IN YOUR DRIVERS
LICENSE, AND KEEP RENEWING IT!!  AND WATCH 60 MINUTES TO NIGHT!!!!
>Gina
>47/6 months
PS  DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE INSURANCE BACK IF YOU SELL IT YOURSELF & LET
PEOPLE TEST DRIVE IT.
BRUCE ANDERSON (52, 3 1/2)