-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Mary Sheehan
Sent: Friday, June 26, 1998 10:35 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject: Re: All spirituality lost - "there, but for the grace of god,

<< wow
 i couldn't think of a more different interpretation of that phrase
 if i tried for a month of sundays! >

                                         and
<<I'm sorry you feel this way.  You seem to have made the proverbial glass
half empty statement.  The statement taken literally, would surely mean, I
bless my place in life, but not for arrogance or ill wishes, but for
fortunate health and circumstance I am ok. >
**
*********************

Janet, Greg , Gina, et al.,

In no way did I mean to be condescending or critical of those who use the
phrase, "There but for the grace of God, go I."  I believe that most people
use it with humility and gratitude.
 I think the quotation comes from one of the saints, who I am sure also had
only the purest of motives.
I was merely trying to state that to ME the phrase denotes some smugness and
feeling of separation. It takes courage to accept the possibility that you
might someday be the  object of such a statement.  I am not disagreeing with
your sentiments of empathy, of rejoicing in God's grace and of appreciating
His gifts.  I am merely reading something into the quotation that I find
annoying.
Being one of the world's most annoyingly optimistic people, I can assure you
never see the glass as half empty.  Let's just agree to disagree.
Mary