Hi all. I am posting this message in the hope that someone can offer
some advice for my father. He was diagnosed with Parkinsons in late
1992. The last couple years have been especially bad and he has had to
retire from his church where he was a Minister for 30 years. It was a
shame because it was only a few years ago when I didn't think anything
could stop him. The problem is that he not only has to deal with the
Parkinson's symptoms and everything else that comes with it but he was
recently diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis. Spinal stenosis is a narrowing
of the central spinal canal or the areas of the spine where the nerve
roots exit. He had been suffering for quite some time from agonizing
pain in his legs and had been told that this was not due to the
Parkinsons. In terms of the physical pain that he has had to deal with
over the last year this has been the worst. He has done the cortizone
shots with no success. They cannot perform surgery due to previous
surgery he had on his spine in the early 80's. I am at a loss. I hate to
say it but life would be so much better if it was "just" the Parkinson's
he had to deal with. Never thought I would ever say that.
Anyone out there aware of a parkinsonian who has had spinal stenosis? We
have been informed that there is no relationship. Symptoms of spinal
stenosis are low back pain, buttocks pain, leg pain (usually above the
knee) and/or numbness in the above areas. It is common for patients with
the spinal stenosis to develop pain in the buttocks or legs while
walking. Patients with severe stenosis often are limited to less than
one city block before they must stop. Often patients with spinal
stenosis feel relief when bending forward.
Thanks.
Steve Clark
p.s. Has there been any discussion or thought about making this
listserve a newsgroup? A newsgroup would allow people to view the
messages via a new reader or within a web browser. A newsgroup does not
require downloading messages into mailbox. It is possible to have both.
There are newsgroups that can also be subscribed to for e-mail. The
reason I mention this is that the incredible volume of e-mail this group
generates prohibits my father, and I assume others, from subscribing. It
is not realistic for him to logon every couple days and wait for 100's
of messages to download. The alternative DIGEST format is not realistic
either. It is far too difficult to read. A newsgroup would really make
sense. Thoughts?