My mother had her pallidotomy on June 17th at USC. We are just now all
beginning to realize it is over. It's been 2 years and 2 hospitals and
about 4 appointments of testing.
Her surgeon was Dr. Dogali. Everything went well and the procedure seems to
have been a success. I say seems to be, as it is still quite confusing
trying to figure out what is a result of surgery and what it medication
oriented.
(Prior to the surgery she was having very bad troubles with a psychotic
reaction to the sinemet, along with lots of anxiety.)
Immediately after was like a miracle for about 24 hours. Her body and mind
seemed relaxed.
Then the confusion returned along with some stiffness.
My conclusion at this point is that the pallidotomy has probably done just
what Dr. Dogali predicted, which is given her some relief with her major
symptom of cramping and bradykinesia. (He predicted 40-50% improvement
there.) She did not have much dyskinesia but for those who do he predicted
a much higher rate of improvement like 80-90 percent improvement.
She has been extremely confused and tired so unfortunately has not been
able to be aware herself of how things have changed. She seems more
depressed to me than before and this concerns me.
But from the outside we all still see a great improvement. She sits in
chairs she has not been in in at least a year, and moves with far greater
agility. Her hand seems much more agile.
I found the hospital at USC medical center to be great, the staff
communicated very well with the family during and after the surgery.
Except for shaving her entire head there were no surprises. She was off
meds since 6 pm the night before and no food or drink after midnite. We got
to the hospital at 5 am and after a couple hours of waiting and prep they
took her to put the frame on her head and do an MRI and then the actual
surgery was about 2 hours. We were surprised it went so quick, but all the
better (waiting was no picnic!)
Has anyone else experienced more depression, or new forms of confusion (Mom
keep screaming that she had wrecked her pallidotomy) after a pallidotomy?
Debbie
Mom 74/12