In a message dated 6/29/98 7:19:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<

 "Familial" means just that that. It runs in a family.  However, that term
 means nothing about source.  It is not limited to PD or any particular
 condition.  It may be that all affected members have been exposed to the same
 toxin, or germ, or social prejudice.  The term is used to say that it runs in
 that family-no more >>

I guess I don't understand the difference between having something that runs
in the family versus something that is genetic.

They added eldepryl to the sinemet my mother was taking today.  They said
between those two drugs she was moving much better and could probably go back
home tomorrow if she had some help.  She became very upset and said she didn't
want to go back home because she couldn't handle living at home anymore.  She
lives alone since my father passed away 7 years ago of cancer.  I live 7 hours
away and with my own health difficulties am unable to offer her much help
although we have offered to have her come out and live with us which she
refused.  My brother and sister live in the same town as her and have been
paying bills, buying groceries and other miscellaneous things for her.  The
big problem was that she would always refuse to go to doctors for them which
led to the long delay in getting diagnosed in the first place.  She also would
not take proper care of herself.  She would refuse to drink anything because
of incontinence and she didn't want to eat solids because of a prolapsed
rectum.  She would go for days without eating although if somebody brought her
food like "meals on wheels" she would eat it.  By the time they brought her to
the hospital she was down to 101 pounds.  After only a few days of eating
three meals a day in the hospital she has gained 5 pounds.  She agreed with us
that the best place for her would be in an assisted living arrangement where
all of her meals would be made for her.  She still isn't very happy about it
though.  This is very heartbreaking for me to see.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous posting.

Kathy