Dear List Friends:

I can't help but be disturbed about something I have been noticing for some
time.
As I was thumbing through a popular women's magazine recently, a full page ad
about Multiple Sclerosis caught my eye. Another women's magazine contained a
full page informative ad on Alzheimer's disease from the Alzheimer's
Association.  I also discovered two more full page ads (in still other
magazines) --one on Cancer, one on Leukemia, which were both from "America's
Pharmaceutical Companies".
All were very good ads, very informative, and concerned research news, etc...

My point is:  Why don't I ever see ads in magazines about Parkinson's disease?
There is a wealth of advertising and information publicizing MS, Alzheimer's,
Cancer, and heart disease, from various support organizations.  Everyone is
familar with these diseases, mainly because of such publicity.  This is one
important area where Parkinson's disease is lacking.  Few people know even the
basic facts about PD.

I feel it would help our cause immensly if PD --its research, the fact that it
affects "young people", the Udall bill, and so on......were made more public.
To this end we need the help of our national organizations.  National support
in this area is something I would love to see!

We have all worked hard for the Udall bill, and yet the equally important
issue of PWP becoming more "visable" is always present.  We are visable to our
families, friends, and certain members of the medical community...........but
not to the nation as a whole!
Please understand, I am not trying to target any one person or organization.
Perhaps all of the national Parkinson's organizations/foundations/associations
need to be more united in solving this issue.  I don't pretend to have the
answer but I know one is within  reach.

Rosemary Russell   50,   4 1/2 yrs.
Little Rock, Arkansas