Russ: I'd love to claim the reference to audience as "all those folks
out there in chairs," but it was Park (first name?), not me. I think,
though, that the academic "audience" (still a totally unsatisfactory
metaphor for me) is more accurately perceived as a critic in the theatre
- a "reader" waiting to find fault. Can we not agree that there are such
things as authentic opportunities for reading, more or less, and that
the acacdemic reader is simulating such a reading? The closest authentic
reading situation I can imagine that "fits" reading student essays is
the one we all find ourselves in as working scholars, and the evaluation
we deploy against student writing is a measure of how far that writing
falls from the writing we experience (or expect) professionally. I
should add that I find Russ Hunt's one BIG idea both very persuasive and
very big. Anthony Pare.