Park, Douglas B.  "The Meanings of 'Audience.'"  College English 44 (March
1982): 24757.

At 06:22 PM 7/20/1998 -0400, Anthony Pare wrote:
>Russ: I'd love to claim the reference to audience as "all those folks
>out there in chairs," but it was Park (first name?), not me. I think,
>though, that the academic "audience" (still a totally unsatisfactory
>metaphor for me) is more accurately perceived as a critic in the theatre
>- a "reader" waiting to find fault. Can we not agree that there are such
>things as authentic opportunities for reading, more or less, and that
>the acacdemic reader is simulating such a reading? The closest authentic
>reading situation I can imagine that "fits" reading student essays is
>the one we all find ourselves in as working scholars, and the evaluation
>we deploy against student writing is a measure of how far that writing
>falls from the writing we experience (or expect) professionally. I
>should add that I find Russ Hunt's one BIG idea both very persuasive and
>very big. Anthony Pare.

(Prof.) Richard M. Coe
English Department, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, BC  CANADA   V5A 1S6
email: [log in to unmask]
office phone: (604) 291-4316
English Department FAX: (604) 291-5737

President                   Phone:  (604) 291-5535
Faculty Association         Fax:    (604) 291-3452
Simon Fraser University     Association Homepage:
Burnaby, BC     V5A 1S6     http://www.sfu.ca/sfufa/