Hi Judy,

Lucky you to be in the process of visioning instead of just down-
sizing (or modifying as my Dean likes to say). I agree with all the
(contradictory) responses you are receiving re. the setting up of a
writing centre.  As Andrea says, it all depends.  Local conditions
are crucial in determining what can be done (or what you can get away
with).  Cathy is absolutely right about the necessity for
disciplinary attachment and quality control.  Since your writing
centre will be for research and teaching, it seems you are on the
right track.  If your English Department is friendly to composition
and rhetoric, than that will work.  If not, then not, and you may be
better off with an independent centre (or centres as at U of T).  My
own centre is an independent one, and there are certain benefits in
that all our departments are willing to look to us for assistance.
But I now have difficulty developing beyond that stage, for
unfortunately, I am running into the very problems that Cathy has
described.  The teaching/research model that Janet has developed is
an ideal one.  Can it exist independently, as it seems to do at U of
T?   Or is that a unique situation because of unique people?

Happy Canada Day!  (Although I still prefer the old Dominion Day)

Mieke

Mieke Koppen Tucker
Bishop's University