Brent Faber says,

> Yet, as Russ and Will have noted, learning professional genres
> still doesn't really prepare students for the kinds of writing they
> will be doing as students. Especially those students in scientific
> or technical programs. It seems to be an odd contradiction.

I'd tilt that in the other direction.  The problem isn't learning
professional genres, it's the kinds of writing they will be doing as
students.  Why are those kinds of writing -- bizarrely arhetorical,
unique to one peculiar situation where the only authentic motivation
is to produce an example of discourse -- almost the only kinds
students ever write?

                                        -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_           Aquinas Chair
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~