I wonder if the "academic essay" (as if there were only one--and we know
that's not the case) is actually used as an excuse to teach other kinds of
things like:

        --the reading strategies of different academic fields
        --Toulmin logic
        --a rhetorical approach to writing and reading
        --an analytical attitude to language.
        (Add some more of your own)

It's struck me for sometime that the academic essay is only a device to get
at these kinds of far more important issues. It's like a public relations
effort.  Students often believe that that they need to write in the genre of
the academic essay.  I am not certain that some a singular kind of thing
exists, but these other resources--the ability to note conventions, the use
of evidence etc--now those just might prove useful. So the essay just might
be an excuse to get at these other issues.

Catherine F. Schryer
Dept. of English
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada