Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 11:18:21 -0500 (CDT)
From: Neil Besner <[log in to unmask]>
To: CASLL/Inkshed <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: writing about literature

Hi Russ and all. Russ, see below, please.

Neil Besner
Chair, English Department
University of Winnipeg
515 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada R3B 2E9

Phone: (204) 786-9294
Fax:   (204) 774-4134

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Russ Hunt wrote:

> Cathy's right, I think; the "academic essay" (and she's also right
> that it's not a homogenous genre) is "an excuse to get at these
> other issues."  What I still wonder is why it's so universal to
> create situations in which the writing we use to get at other things
> has to be so entirely without authentic, intrinsic purposes, writing
> written to demonstrate knowledge or ability rather than to persuade,
> amuse, engage, inform, etc.  And I wonder whether the fact that class
> essays are so rhetorically peculiar makes it harder to get at things
> like, in Cathy's list,

Am I reading correctly, Russ, when I understand you to be saying, above,
that the academic essay is typically "entirely without authentic,
instrinsic purposes"?  If that is more or less what you intend, could you
elaborate a bit?  Or have I misunderstood?

The second part of the sentence is a bit puzzling as well. Are you
distinguishing between (inauthentic?) writing that is written "to
demonstrate knowledge or ability" and, on the other hand, writing that
"persuades, amuses, engages, informs, etc."? As if the two purposes and
intentions were mutually exclusive? And the academic essay falls into the
first camp?  Or have I misunderstood you here again?

My questions are not, obviously, unmotivated. To begin with, an academic
essay that is persuasive and engaging, as I understand it, may often also
demonstrate knowledge and ability. And it might be a better academic essay
if it accomplishes several of these goals.

Cheers, Neil