Hi Judy,

Here at U of C, the Writing Centre is happily ensconced in an interdisciplinary
faculty (the Faculty of General Studies), which also houses our undergraduate
and graduate communications programmes. This arrangement seems to be close to
ideal (the best of all possible academic worlds?). A faculty home gives writing
centres academic credibility and political clout, while stand-alone writing
centres or those housed under the umbrella of student services might risk
becoming marginalized.  An interdisciplinary faculty also, I think, offers a
better vantage point to deal with (and research) writing across the curriculum.
Finally, Writing Centres in departments other than English departments don't
have to deal with the destructive lit/comp power struggles that often
characterize English departments. :)

Have a great summer!

Jo-Anne Andre