Hi Jamie

That is an excellent book. One point Kieran makes, that might be of
specific interest to writing teachers is that what he calls philosophical
and ironic understanding can only be acquired after extensive education
(post secondary), and require ongoing institutional support for their
sustenance--and even then not everybody "gets" it.

This is counter to the prevailing view in many literature courses, where
relativism rules, and orality and literacy are often seen as separate but
equal, or maybe with orality given a slight edge.

It's also counter to the position of other cognitive researchers, like
Steven Pinker, who states unequivocally in How the Mind Works that literacy
has no effect on consciousness, and grants us no unique status among other
species. (Of course, he also says art and music have no role in natural
selection, and therefore represent only excess cognitive capacity for
auto-stimulation--despite his early promise, he remains, alas, a totally
typical Chomskian.)

Kieran wrote an earlier book which I also really like, in which he
discusses and applies some of the same ideas in The Educated Mind--it's
called Teaching as Story Telling: An alternative approach to teaching and
curriculum in the elementary school. (The Althouse Press: U of Western
Ontario, 1986)

Don''t be put off by the title--it applies to post secondary education just
as well as elementary school. I'm quoting from the blurb on the back:

Many educators have criticized the dominant objectives-based planning
schemes (I'll say!!!); this is the first book to provide a clear and
workable alternative. This is not a book about using fictional stories in
teaching, nor about how to tell stories more effectively; rather it is
about how to use the power of the story-form in order to teach anything
more engagingly and meaningfully. It provides a model for planning that
encourages us to see lessons and units as good stories to be told rather
than sets of objectives to be attained. [Just like The Educated Mind,] The
text contains numerous examples of how the model can be used in planning
lessons and units in Social Studies, Mathematics, Language Arts, and
Science."

I used ideas from both of these books when I redesigned the Business
Communication course I'm teaching this summer, and he really does offer
creative, humane techniques. I had fun designing the syllabus, I love
teaching the course, and oh yeah, the students seem pretty cheerful too
(though this could also be attributed to the unflagging efforts of my
teaching assistant).

You can check it out at our web-site (which is set up and maintained by
Tanya Teslenko, who is also teaching a section of the course):

www.sfu.ca/lohnlab/courses/bus360

--you have to type this in on the address line, you can't get to it through
the SFU home page menus for some reason. We've got the course outline, some
of the assignments, study guides, and some other material.

I'm not sure Kieran would recognize his ideas as I've applied them, so you
might not either. But hey, you might.

And anyway, you might be interested in checking it out for another
reason--I've used your article "On Becoming a Rhetor" as one of the course
readings, and also as a model of methodology for the final research
assignment (Lil Rodman from UBC also cites your article in her Technical
Communication, and I think she said one of her assignments at the end of Ch
1 is based on it, too, did you know?)

There you go--see your name in lights on the west coast.

Sandra