I don't think we should assume that some contexts (e.g., writing to
demonstrate knowledge and ability for the teacher as judge/examiner) are
any more or less "authentic" as rhetorical contexts than others (e.g.,
writing to amuse a friend with tales of student life??).  Russ, when a
student writes to you or, at least, to me as a representative of a
university institution whose job is to judge students' abilities to
demonstrate knowledge, I think that they are writing to "me"--it may not
be a "me" or a job that I relish, but it is still, authentically,
me--just as a student writing a classroom essay for the rhetorical
purposes that bother you (and, an other, "me") is also authentically
"herself" on that occasion, herself as that student (which doesn't mean
that she doesn't find other selves preferable to perform).  I'm all for
questioning the rhetorical contexts/exigencies/motivations which our
educational instutitions structure and perpetuate, but precisely for
that reason I think we need to acknowledge them as very real--both for
ourselves and for our students.  We can't just decide to be outside them
and, oopla, there we go--we're out of them.  For students, as far as I
know, the desire to secure good marks by successfully performing a
classroom genre is a terribly real motivation, one that so many aspects
of the worlds they live in validate above other motivations.

Philippa