Dear Ralph,

> I would be grateful for nutritional information on how to AVOID becoming
> constipated.

For many, if not most PWP, there is peristalsis, or slowing, of the
gastrointestinal tract.-the throat muscles may not move food as quickly to the
stomach
-the stomach often takes longer to process the food and empty it into the
small intestine (gastroparesis)
-the small intestine may take longer to move the bolus of food throughout its
length and empty it into the colon
-the muscles of the colon move much more slowly, so the bolus remains in the
colon longer, turning dry and hard and becoming difficult to pass

Fiber and fluid are more necessary for PWP than for most others. Fiber soaks
up fluid and holds it as it passes thru the GI tract. In the colon, it helps
the fecal matter to remain soft, even though the colon isn't moving as quickly
as it should. Fiber also acts to lower risk of colorectal cancer -- this risk
is increased with chronic constipation.

I recommend drinking plenty of water -- at least two quarts a day --
especially as the PD meds such as Eldepryl and Sinemet may lead to fluid loss
due to polyuria (urinating more than usual), and/or excess sweating. Besides
needing fluid to help alleviate constipation, PWP frequently are treated for
urinary tract infections due to chronic dehydration.  I also recommend eating
whole grains (whole wheat, oats, brown rice, whole rye, etc.) and cooked dried
beans (kidney beans, baked beans, etc.) as often as possible. Fruits and
vegetables are also rich in fiber, and protective against cancer.

> Also, does "5 helpings of fruits & vegetables daily" mean 5 of BOTH fruits
> & vegs, or 5 of EACH - as suggested in the nutritional "pyramid" often
> seen on food packages?

 Five a day means at least 3 servings of vegetables and 2 of fruit. That's for
a small or inactive woman. Larger or more active women, and men, need extra
servings, depending on size and activity level.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD