From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Janet Paterson
Sent:   Thursday, July 02, 1998 11:44 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Re: letters / words / languages

hi jeanette

you wrote in part:
>...sending in articles/stories that might be published
>and get some visibility and support for PD
>and research for it's cause/cure?
>Are you hearing this janet paterson?

yass, ma'am, ah shorely am!
[translates to: yes, indeed!]

i am working on it!
i am working on it!

by the way

did you know that repetition for emphasis like the above
is a linguistic style common to west african/west indian heritage?

did you know that the 'sk' sound as in the english word 'ask'
is rare in west african languages
and thus can result in pronunciation like 'axe' instead?

did you know that virtually every italian word ends in a vowel
and thus can result ina englisha beinga spokena likea thisa?

did you know that the 'th' sound is rare in the french language
and thus can result in 'tanks for dat' pronunciation of 'thanks for that'?

and also, in computer-ish

did you know that ibm pc-ish and macintosh-ish and unix-ish
are unintelligible to each other?

did you know that ascii-ish [=e-mail] and html-ish [=world wide web]
are intelligible both to each other and to the others?

did you know
that all of the above
only re-affirms my delight in communicating with you in this way?

love

janet