Nancy Shlaes wrote:

> My question comes out of my growing problem with fecal incontinence.  My internist
> and neurologist have told me that what I had thought was diarrhea is really
> constipation overflow and now the Gastroenterologist the Neuro sent me to says
> that the anal sphincter is completely gone and although I should increase my fiber
> intake (which is about 20-25 grams now) and increase my Fibercon and water intake,
> the only real help I can expect is from an enema every other morning. Do you think I
> am making a mistake by going this route?

Dear Nancy,
Ordinarily, health professionals prefer to avoid enemas in favor of fiber and fluids.
Enemas, over-the-counter laxatives, and other remedies are unnatural ways to produce
bowel movements, and in some cases can be harmful. Fiber and fluids, on the other
hand, are both natural and helpful in protecting against cancer, diverticulosis,
megacolon, fecal impaction, dehydration, urinary tract infections, and many other
conditions.

However, your physicians have your entire health history and medical records
available, and are taking these into account in advising enema use. Not having access
to those records I cannot comment on this decision. I would, as your
gastroenterologist recommends, continue use of fiber and fluids; and, assuming you
have no allergies or other contraindicating conditions, and that your physicians
agree, I would encourage you to incorporate vegetables, fruits, and whole grains
whenever possible, for their protective effects. It may just be that this will help
produce normal bowel movements in time; and in any case, you will consume the
phytochemicals and balance of antioxidants that will help prevent a wide range of
other diseases (heart disease, stroke, cancers, etc.).

Meantime, it's good that you can enjoy workouts, walking, and travel again -- these
are important to health, well-being, and overall joy in living. It sounds to me as
though you have an excellent medical team advising you. Enjoy your trip to Italy!!

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD