Jerry Finch wrote:

> In experimentation with physical well-being while not eating
> meat over a two week basis, I can now confirm that there is
> some validity to their story. My first-in-two-weeks plate of
> BBQ left me feeling terrible - bloated, lethargic, like all
> the energy had been zapped from me.
> And now meat is fading away, not because of a PETA
> philosophy but rather because not eating it makes me feel so
> much better.

Dear Jerry,
FWIW, some PWP report that plant protein does not interfere with their
levodopa to the extent that animal protein does. I can't explain why
that would be -- unless the proportion of protein being less in plants
makes a difference, or unless there is some other component of animal
protein that affects absorption. However, if you feel better after not
eating meat, it's academic anyway.

I would add just a word of caution -- strict vegetarians are at risk for
B12 deficiency, as B12 is found only in animal products.  Older adults
are also at risk, as they may not produce as much of the enzyme needed
for B12 absorption. If you don't want to eat animal foods, you should
take B12 supplements. I believe PWP may do well to take a B complex in
any case, about 2 hours separately from levodopa.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD