[log in to unmask] writes:

<< For many, if not most PWP, there is peristalsis, or slowing, of the
 gastrointestinal tract.-the throat muscles may not move food as quickly to
the
 stomach
 -the stomach often takes longer to process the food and empty it into the
 small intestine (gastroparesis)
 -the small intestine may take longer to move the bolus of food throughout its
 length and empty it into the colon
 -the muscles of the colon move much more slowly, so the bolus remains in the
 colon longer, turning dry and hard and becoming difficult to pass >>

I was amazed to read this about the digestive tract for people with PD as well
as reading about all of the people with PD who started with a frozen shoulder.
As I mentioned before my mother had a frozen shoulder about 20 years ago.
Shortly after that she started developing stomach problems as well as extreme
fatigue and weakness.  The doctor's continued to act like it was all in her
head and that she was just an emotional problem.  When her weight had dropped
down to a dangerously low anorexic level and she was having severe stomach
pain my father managed to get her admitted to the hospital.  After performing
many tests including an upper GI the doctors told my father they could find
nothing wrong and were ready to send her off to a pschiatrist.  My father
insisted that there had to be something wrong for her to be in so much pain.
The doctor's finally agreed to do one last test-an endoscopy of her stomach.
They were amazed at what they found.  She had 2 ulcers as well as a huge
hardened and calcified ball of undigested food, none of which had shown up on
the x-rays.  No wonder she was in so much pain.  She was eventually diagnosed
with gastro paresis.  The only drugs at the time to treat it were cisipride
and domperidone and both were considered experimental medicines back then and
she had to have some really barbaric tests done in order to get into the
program to receive the drugs.  Once excepted into the program she was given
domperidone.  When the doctors were asked how she got this they couldn't
answer.  We were given the impression that only diabetics usually get this and
that if you got it without being diabetic that it probably had something to do
with you being a nervous type person.  They could not explain her muscle
fatigue and weakness.  Therefore my mother spent the next 10 years of her life
feeling like nobody believed she was really ill even though she was very
disabled.  For her the tremors didn't start until much later.  By the time it
became obvious what was wrong with her, her PD was quite advanced.  Why can't
they come up with a test for PD that could detect it in the early stages so
that people can be treated earlier and not have to experience the humiliation
and grief that my mother has had to endure.  I just wish my father was alive
to see that there was a reason for mom's problems that was not in her head.  I
would like to know how many others on the list had debillitating symptoms
before the tremors appeared.  Is it usual for the tremors to appear first or
do alot of people experience some of the other problems first and why can't
the doctors recognize this?  I always believed in my mother because of my own
weakness, fatigue, digestive problems and difficulties I have with the right
side of my body.  Now I am afraid to go see a doctor to have myself evaluated.

Kathy