Janet,

i am curious as to whether you used the worksheets that David Burns included
in his Feeling Good Handbook?

do you use some version of them currently?

my opinion is that using this tool was the process that made the difference.

i still use what i have included below (modified to simple text only).
i recommend it to one and all.
using it will improve how you feel. this happens since our feelings depend
upon our beliefs - and, many of us have distorted parent consciences that
have need of clarifying. cognitive therapy is thinking in this manner to
cognitively change our beliefs about our selves and the rules we were
taught/learned in inaccurate or distorted form or meaning.

Problem_____________________________(mood,  depression, ?)
Upsetting Event/ Situation________________________________

Emotion/ Feeling                                                rank (how
strong was the emotion?)
___________________________           ______________
___________________________           ______________
___________________________           ______________
Cognition, thought, belief                     Distortion
Better, rational cognition
____________________     ________________    ___________________
____________________     ________________    ___________________
____________________     ________________    ___________________
____________________     ________________    ___________________
____________________     ________________    ___________________
____________________     ________________    ___________________
____________________     ________________    ___________________
____________________     ________________    ___________________
____________________     ________________    ___________________
____________________     ________________    ___________________
____________________     ________________    ___________________
____________________     ________________    ___________________
____________________     ________________    ___________________

Identify the upsetting event.  Record negative feelings. Rank how strongly
felt.  The cognition of what we observed or remember thinking - our response
to the event - should include: observe, judge, and act recall.
If we act in accordance with our values - choose to act only after thinking
- we will feel better.  Believe it or not, filling out this form and
re-considering what we write on two or three later days - does make a
difference.
hope this helps someone or all
tafn, ron
Ronald Vetter  1936, dz PD 1984, carbidopa/levodopa, Mirapex, selegiline
[log in to unmask]     Ridgecrest, California
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter