hi ron

you wrote
> i am curious as to whether you used the worksheets
>that David Burns included in his Feeling Good Handbook?

yes, i did

>do you use some version of them currently?

no, i don't

>my opinion is that using this tool was the
>process that made the difference.

i agree

i believe that the actual 'doing' and the thinking involved
tied in with the writing down of those thoughts
creates a dynamic that somehow starts
to retrain the brain's neurons
into using new pathways

since 1991, when i first re-discovered david burns' books,
i have gone back to them in varying degrees
several times

if i feel myself 'slipping' back
i generally use the Beck Depression Inventory test
[it's on one of my web-site pages, preen!]
as a 'check-up' per dr. burns' suggestion

immediately after re-discovering the book
when i was deep in cd
my bdi score was 27
[considered a moderate-tending-to-severe depression]

[my bdi score probably had been higher than that in the period
prior to my having found the 'gumption'
to even look at the book]

some days/weeks later it was 21 [borderline depression]
and the last time i checked [last month]
it was 8 [considered 'normal']

i can attribute the improvement in my situation
both to burns' techniques in re cognitive distortion
and to finding an optimum level of anti-depressant medication

being able to recognise
the existence of essential distortions in thought processes
in myself was a major first step for me
"the scales fell from my eyes"

your cyber-sis in slippage stoppage

janet

janet paterson
51/10 - endocarb/selegiline/fluoxetine - [log in to unmask]
a new voice: http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm